Often this takes the form of CIGNA Giving. CIGNA Corporation and its subsidiaries give directly and through the CIGNA Foundation. Giving is directed primarily to the area we know best — health care. We've identified five core concern areas aimed at helping people understand and take control of their health. Our goal? Healthier individuals. Healthier families. Healthier communities. And lower health care costs for us all.
We also partner with a number of innovative leaders in the field of health care through our CIGNA Sponsorships. It's a sharing opportunity. We provide them the means to pursue their work. They provide us information and knowledge that makes us a more effective provider of health care and related employee benefits.
Our CIGNA in the Community initiatives provide funding and tap the energy and expertise of our people to enhance the life of the communities where we all live and work.
The Targeted Grant Process
As part of its overall commitment to support innovative programs addressing the health and well-being of individuals, families and communities, the CIGNA Foundation makes Targeted Grants to organizations working in five core concern areas. These concerns, and representative activities, are:
* The Health of Women, Children & Families: our sponsorship of The March of Dimes to prevent prematurity
* Obesity Awareness & Prevention: our work with Healthy Kids Challenge to help schools and communities improve young lifestyles
* Patient/Doctor Communications & Health Literacy: our participation in the ACP Health Literacy Conference to enhance health care communications
* Elimination of Gender & Ethnic Disparities in Health Care: our partnership with WomenHeart to highlight the heart health concerns of women
* The Connection Between a Healthy Mind and a Healthy Body: our support of Children's Crisis Treatment Center's mental health services to assist Philadelphia's neediest children
Introductory applications -- the first step in the application process -- are received and reviewed throughout the year. For more information, go to: http://www.cigna.com/about_us/community/targeted_grant.html